Whithorn embodies the history of Christian belief, power and practice in Scotland. A sacred place for Christians from at least the 600s, the cult of St Ninian flourished here for over a thousand years. It brought travellers, traders, pilgrims and royalty to Whithorn from home and abroad.
The site’s fortunes have fluctuated with those of the Church. After rising to great heights of wealth and glory, Whithorn was suppressed during the Protestant Reformation of 1560, and afterwards became a simple parish church. Increased archaeological interest since the 1880s has brought the site back to public attention, and the creation of the Whithorn Trust has secured it for future generations.